posting price lists

David K. Purks (telenet!unicorn!dkpurks@uunet.uu.net)
Tue, 10 Jan 1995 10:21:13 -0500 (EST)

Andreas wrote:

> As I already mentioned I completely accept being blamed for having posted
> offers or even my price list in one case and will not do so again.

As I told him privately, personally I think he should continue to post
his offers, as should others. One of the primary reasons that commercial
postings are frowned upon in newsgroups is because of the way the groups
are distributed around the net to everyone. Commercial use of internet
is in no way prohibited - look at the number of companies that use the
net to distibute software to the customers or have ads out there on WEB
pages, etc., etc..... **BUT** this is a mailing list, not a newgroup.
We have all subscribed to the service and are here by choice. To my mind
that means that we have the right to decide what's right and what's not
(ignoring for the moment the fact that hpl is "donating" the services
of their hardware for our listserver and WWW).

If it wasn't for this this newgroup and the posts that people have
made here, I wouln't have the collection of plants that I do now.
In most cases, I haven't paid much more than for postage, but I have
bought some plants for very reasonable prices too - something I could
not have done locally (I have yet to find a single source of plants
local to me) and buying mail order is a gamble I haven't gotten
around to yet. And I will continue to do so in the future.

Andreas (and others) - I can understand your unwillingness to post
your lists of available plants to the general community, especially
in light of the recent message exchange. I hope that you will at
least send such lists to Rick so that they can be accessed through
the listserver (and hopefully through the online service). I know
that most of us are very interested in what you have to offer.

Dave