Re: Wintering CPs

Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Tue, 18 Oct 1994 22:36:26 -0400 (EDT)

Robert Johnson wrote:

> Hello all, can anyone tell me how to keep my CPs alive during the winter?
> I am a beginner and have only been growing them for 5 months. The plants I
> have are, VFTs, S. purpurea, and S. alata. All of them are growing in pots.
> I live in southern CT.

My VFTs survived last winter's very harsh conditions (Washington,
DC area). Here's what I did. In the Fall when the plants began to
die back, I put them (pots and all) into plastic bags, and buried them
in the garden. The plastic keeps the garden soil from mixing with the
different potting soil. I buried them so that only two inches of soil
covered the top of the pots. I then put about six inches of dry leaf
mulch over them. When I dug them up in the Spring, they were putting
out new green growth and they flourished this past summer.

Sarraceniae might do nicely with similar treatment, although
I haven't any such experience to relate to you. I do know, however,
that Rob Sacilotto covered his Sarracenia bogs with a foam blanket
this past winter, and the plants came back with a vengeance in the
Spring. His area in Virginia experienced prolonged temperatures in
the single digits F, even in the daytime.

Perry Malouf