RE: Wintering cp's....

Pekka Ala-Siuru (pal@tko.vtt.fi)
Wed, 21 Sep 1994 09:42:49 +0300 (EET DST)

On Tue, 20 Sep 1994 WELCH@NIEHS.NIH.GOV wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Last winter was a 10 year record cold spell. If memory
> serves me the Carolina coastal plain experienced low temps
> of 10 degrees F (-12 C). Inland we were a bit colder reaching
> about -20 C. Plants (_Sarracenia_ and _Dionea_) which wintered
> outside under a 2-4" layer of pine needles did well.

That's very interesting to hear here ; what type of _Sarracenia_ ? purpurea?
What was the longest period below zero temperatures? Here in Oulu we have now
had the first nigth frosts but I have not decided to let my _Dionea_ or
_Sarracenia_ out for the winter.

BTW I am going to put my _Dionea_ for the winter to a cellar where the temps
are between +4 and +6 Celsius. How long should it be there? How long is
the normal dormancy period of _Dionea_ in the wild?

Rick: what is the status of your WWW archive?

..Pekka

Pekka Ala-Siuru
Senior Analyst, Embedded Knowledge-Based Systems
VTT Electronics, P.O.Box 1100, FIN-90571, Oulu,Finland
Tel. +358 81 551 2461, Telefax +358 81 551 2320