Re: Fruit Flies

Ross Koning (Koning@ecsuc.ctstateu.edu)
Fri, 19 Aug 1994 16:33:26 -0500

As soon as I get some plants started here, I plan to try
my Tenebrio beetles. These hatch out from mealworms.
I have the beetles in culture now and when I get some
plants to feed, I will try it and post results. The beetles
are about 1 cm long and about 0.5 cm wide. Culture is
SIMPLE...a gallon jar with a mixture of bran and oatmeal
covered with a piece of fabric. No watering or feeding
chores...just harvest beetles as needed.

ross

At 3:27 AM 8/18/94 -0700, Carl Strohmenger (HSC) wrote:
>On Wed, 17 Aug 1994, Steve Reed wrote:
>

>> How good are little fruit flies or gnats for my Fly Trap and
>> Pitcher Plants?
>> Stever@on-ramp.ior.com
>>
>Fruit flies and gnats are more suited for Pinguiculas. For VFT's and
>pitchers, something the size of a house fly up to a small grasshopper is
>indicated. If the prey is too large, it seems to harm the trap through
>decay products before it is fully digested. I once swatted a large (3"
>long x 3/4" dia.) grasshopper and then stuffed it into one of the larger
>pitchers on a Sarracenia purpurea. The trap turned dark brown/black in a
>few days and died. But, I've never had a problem with insects in the
>range of 1" long x 1/4" dia.

Ross Koning Internet: Koning@ecsuc.ctstateu.edu
Biology Department Phone: (203)-465-5327
Eastern CT State University Fax: (203)-465-5213
Willimantic, CT 06226 USA