Re: Nepenthes Being Eaten - Update

Phil Soderman (
Tue, 2 Aug 1994 18:54:31 -0700 (PDT)

If the problem is "caterpillars" try some BT Bacillus thuringensis, a
bacteria used to control this sort of critter. I use it in my nursery
under the name of XENTARI but there are many other forms available
commercially. It smells slightly fishy and is generally non toxic to
mammals, it is a disease of insects-bacterial toxin.
Phil Soderman
On Tue, 2 Aug 1994 wrote:

> Thanks for all the suggestions for my Nepenthes problem. I tried the
> immersion in water trick, and to my surprise, several "caterpillars"
> floated to the surface. These appear to be the mystery eaters. They
> are dark grey and about 1 cm in length. I think they are moth larvae;
> the plant room attracts lots of moths because I have the lights on at
> night (to keep temps lower). My concern is that the immersion method
> won't kill the eggs, and I may be faced with the problem agian. Also,
> only 24 hours later, I found two more (live) ones chomping away.
> Maybe it's time to make some tobacco soup...
> Doug