Re: Introduction and VFT advice: RE: seeds

Kenneth Hyers (khyers@lynx.dac.neu.edu)
Tue, 21 Jun 1994 09:38:26 -0400 (EDT)

> On Mon, 20 Jun 1994, Philip Semanchuk wrote:
>
> is it possible/useful to collect the seeds from the VFT
> flowers? Advice on what the seeds look like and how difficult they are to
> germinate would be appreciated.

It is pretty easy to polinate the flowers and get them to bear seeds.
I used an artist's brush a few years ago on several flowers and got lots
of seeds. If I remember rightly the seeds are quite small and black.
Unfortunately, after seeding the plants almost completly stopped
growing. Seems I read in a book that VFT use so much energy making the
seeds that after they just need a rest. Although I like the white
flowers, now I pinch the flower spike off before the plant even blooms
rather than risk stopping leaf/trap growth.

khyers@lynx.neu.edu