Re: Aphids

Kyle J Williams (kwilliam@trumpet.aix.calpoly.edu)
Tue, 5 Apr 1994 17:00:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 5 Apr 1994, Barry Meyers-Rice wrote:

> For aphids and mealy bugs and scale on Sarracenia, I spray the leaves with
> label strength Diazinon with great results. I have heard very bad things
> about soaps on Sarrs, but have not tried it myself. I have tried Pyrethrum
> but experienced some damage. Don Schnell, a noted grower, also suggests
> Malathion WP, but this is harder to work with than Diazinon and is SMELLY.
>
> I spray my plants during the winter. I would not be surprised if any or all
> of the above poisons cause damage to leaves or inflorescence if applied when
> the plant is actively growing.

Using a WP is generally safer to the plants than using a liquid form of the
chemical. Liquid forms of pesticides are petroleum based, and this is
what is so damaging to the plant. Peter D'amato uses Orthene WP in his
nursery (at least the last time I checked) and has good results. When you
spray any type of pesticide the temperature should be below 80 degrees F
or you may see damage.

-Kyle