Re: Aphids

Rupert G. Goldie (rgg@aaii.oz.au)
Fri, 19 Nov 1993 16:14:12 +1100

> From: rphjt@minyos.xx.rmit.OZ.AU (John Taylor [The Banshee])
>
> >On a different note, I don't have ants in my plants, but aphids just
> >showed up on my D. capensis. Only one pot so far. Any suggestions
> >on knocking them out?
>

> Jeff, I've always used Pyrethrum sprays with sucess against aphids.
> One thing you must be careful about is to make sure that the spray
> actually hits the aphids - it won't work otherwise. This means
> spraying under leaves and in all the nooks and crannies... It's also
> a good idea to spray again a week or two later to clear up the ones
> you might have missed. The other method is too squash them between
> finger and thumb - it's a bit gross and can cause some damage to the
> plants sometimes, but it works.

I have also used a Pyrethrum (or is it Pyrethrin ??) spray with great success.
When I first had an aphid attack a couple of years ago I tried removing them by
squashing with fingers and with tweezers, but I could never get them all. I
lost my biggest D. Capensis and had them spread to many of my other plants
before I tried the spray. After a couple of weeks the aphids were all gone,
any the plants didn't seem to mind the spray.

Rupert

--
Rupert G. Goldie, Research Scientist                rgg@aaii.oz.au
Australian Artificial Intelligence Institute