Re: in vitro

Jan Schlauer (zxmsl01@studserv.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de)
Thu, 4 Nov 93 09:10:48 +0100

Carl, you wrote:
>a karmic benefit that accrues to certain members of this list who freely
>distribute seeds from their own collections) to participating in
dissemination,
>either via seed or in-vitro cultures.

For my part, it is not quite that (karmic benefit). Indeed, it is an indirect
form of egoism. Because, if I know of several people who have taxon X
(because I have distributed taxon X to them), I do not need these
several backup clones to be sure not to lose taxon X by an infection
or other incidents. All I need to do is to call one of the people I have
distributed that taxon to, and a few days later I have it, again.
Kind regards
Jan