(no subject)

KLIER@cobra.uni.edu
Wed, 20 Oct 1993 21:47:53 -0500 (CDT)

Subj: Droserae

>Barry, passed your questions on to Dr. Pinkava. He says that if you
>want to indicate the plural of _Drosera_, then _Drosera_ itself will
>serve, but it would be preferable to reduce the name to a common name
>and say droseras (note, not underlined or capitalized. _Droseras_
>would be incorrect usage). he does not suggest using Droserae in any
>form (underlined, capitalized etc...)
>As for "DD. rotundifolia, capensis, intermedia...". He figures the
>use of "DD." in this manner is outright wrong.

I'm a taxonomist who's been lurking... ;-) Anyhow, "droseras" is a
good plural... or if you want to copy the taxonomists, "_Drosera_ spp."
where "spp." indicates "species plural". So if I'm out wandering in a
bog someplace, and I can't identify the various species of sphagnum
moss, I might write "_Sphagnum_ sp." if there seems to be only one
species present, or "_Sphagnum_ spp." for more than one. (In colloquial
taxonomic speech, you might say, "Oh, there were several Sphagnum
spah..."

For lists of species, it's "Drosera rotundifolia, D. capensis, D.
intermedia..." in most scientific writing.

Kay Klier Biology Dept UNI