(Forwarded) CP intro...

John Taylor [The Banshee] (rphjt@minyos.xx.rmit.OZ.AU)
Fri, 15 Oct 93 10:08:25 +0000

>From: epur01@email.mot.com (Don Burns)
>To: rphjt@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au
>Subject: Looking for CP Info
>
>Hi John,
>
>I signed of for the CP list a couple of days ago and then sent in an intro
>message. But for some reason it has not been posted. The postmaster at hpl
>is looking into the problem for me. I signed up out of curiosity. I am
>presently into orchids and being here in south Florida is a great place to
>grow then. But the idea of trying my hand at CPs intrigued me.
>
>I saw your response to another introductory post today and decided I would
>post you directly while I am waiting for a solution to the listserv
>problem. We live in a warm and humid climate - cooler in the winters but
>rarely below 45 degrees F at night. Average daytime temp in winter is
>around 70 to 72 deg F and nights around 55. Summer temperatures avg 88 to
>92 days and lower 80s or upper 70 nights. I have a pond in my yard and grow
>a number of water plants as well.
>
>Does this sound like a good climate for CPs? Are there any books or
>publications you would recommend for a beginner? Not having been able to
>get a posting to the list yet, I have not been able to find out if there is
>a FAQ. Is there one?
>
>Thanks for your help in advance, John
>--
>Don Burns It's not the return ON the money
>epur01@email.mot.com that worries me. It's the return
OF the money.
-- Will Rogers

Don, it sounds like you shouldn't have much problem growing CPs there - in fact
you may be able to grow some species of Nepenthes (Tropical Pitcher plants)
outside... (Disclaimer - I'm a Nepenthes blackthumb... ;-) ) Many types of
Drosera (sundews), Pinguicula (butterworts) & Utricularia (bladderworts) should
grow happily there too. There probably is a FAQ re: CP growing, but I forget
how to go about getting it - no doubt this will be rectified shortly... My
favourite books are the two by Adrian Slack ("Carnivorous Plants" and "Insect-
Eating Plants and How to Grow Them") - I recommend them both to the beginner,
the latter is perhaps a little better for details on a large number of species
and more color pictures.

BFN & happy CPing

| John Taylor [The Banshee] | Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology |
| rphjt@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au | Department of Applied Physics |
| MOKING IS A HEALTH HAZARD. | Melbourne, Victoria, AUSTRALIA |