Re: new CPN

Jan Schlauer (zxmsl01@studserv.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de)
Tue, 12 Oct 93 15:14:24 +0100

Don, you wrote:

>"Some Observations of CP in Habitat, Sulawesi: Indonesia" by Gary James.
>Author describes collecting a some plants :-(
>Three color photos of unidentified species.
>The green Nepenthes pitcher on the right looks like N. maxima
>(note the filiment on the front of the underside of the lid).

This ID is probably correct.

>Could the Nepenthes on the left be N. tomoriana?? Maybe Jan
>can identify it.

_N.tomoriana_ is not yet known from the area covered by the
described expedition, and I don't think the author has found this
species on his trip. On the other hand, _N.maxima_ is quite abundant
in that region, and it may well be that the picture shows another
growth form of this species.
Note that - especially in Celebes - _N.maxima_ is extremely variable
with a series of individuals truly intermediate between _N.maxima_
and _N.eymai_, so that I do not believe in any specific distinction
between these two. Furthermore, even in one individual, connecting
pitcher forms may occur together! BTW, I do not like these textbook
(i.e. theoretical) distinctions which consider only one pitcher type per
individual, ignoring that reality looks more complex.

Kind regards
Jan