Re: your mail

Michael Hasemann (jmh@tko.vtt.fi)
Fri, 8 Oct 1993 10:09:05 +0200

On Thu, 7 Oct 1993, Barry Meyers-Rice wrote:

> This entire project sounds very interesting. My thoughts are the
> following...
>
> Whatever format is finally chosen, there must be some hardcopy form
> available because while there are thousands of CPers globally, perhaps only
millions
> a small percent have computer access. It is fair to say that the readers of
> this group represent a high-tech minority.
>
> Submitting information: There should be a standardized format for submitting
> material, otherwise the many authors will result in an outrageously
> heterogenous result.
Some time ago there was some traffic going on in alt.galactic-guide (or
similar) where project is going on to set up a guide to the known galaxy.
They have agreed on common format for contribution. Maybe we can check out
this.

> Is this system going to restrict itself to the genus _Nepenthes_?
> If this really got cracking, you could perhaps assign 1-3 persons per genera
> to act as overseer or editor. This person should be knowledgable on the
> genus and could reclassify spuriously or misidentified entries. I could
> help with the _Utrics_ since that's a tricky genus that I'm familiar with.
> Michael Chamberland, do you think you could manage to do the ids on
> _Cephalotus_? :)

I think there should not be any restribctions imposed on the kind of
contributions. The bandwidth is unlimited and selection is done by the
readers (by choosing what they want to read).

> To get organized, who will spearhead the project?
'Spearhead' doesn't it sound too archaic. Lets call him 'commander'. :-)

--Michael