Re: bletia/bletilla

Danny J. Wilson (wilsond@library.ucsf.edu)
Mon, 19 Jul 93 08:36:06 CST

In Message Sun, 18 Jul 93 21:35:55 -0700,
rphjt@minyos.xx.rmit.OZ.AU (John Taylor [The Banshee]) writes:

>(Actually, I think my species name is "striata" - Is that consistant with
>Bletia or Bletilla?)

That would be Bletilla striata. They are actually quite common here in the
US nursery trade---even catalogs like Burpee carry them. I believe that
they are said to survive out of doors at least as far north as along the
coast in the Mid-Atlantic states. Pretty thing, comes in a white form as
well as the more common purple/lavender.

** Danny J. Wilson "Fons vitae silentium in corde noctis" **
** UCSF Library/Circulation **
** (415) 476-5579 A fountain of life is silence in the **
** wilsond@library.ucsf.edu heart of night **
** -Bl. Guigo the Carthusian **