Re: Observations, and Resulting Questions

Rick Walker (walker@hpl-cutt.hpl.hp.com)
Tue, 08 Jun 93 11:36:11 PDT

Perry,

> Finally, can anyone offer a listing of books which
> are on the subject of CP's? I have only two books, and
> several books unknown to me have been mentioned in
> and (if available) the publishers. There are probably
> a whole lot of literary works out there that I've never
> even heard of, which might answer a lot of my questions
> about CP's.

First thing is to subscribe to the Int'l Carnivorous Plant Society:

The Carnivorous Plant Digest is the "Official Journal of the
International Carnivorous Plant Newsletter". There are 4 issues printed
per year. Cost is $15/year + 7.75% CA state sales tax if you live in
California. Cost is $5 more for foreign subscribers. This gets you the
newsletter and access to the seed bank and free "want ads" listings.

Send check to:
ICPS
c/o Fullerton Arboretum
CSUF
Fullerton, CA 92634

They usually publish a bibliography of CP books about once a year.

Here's a few off the top of my head, arranged roughly in order of
usefulness for a beginning grower:

* Insect-Eating Plants & How to Grow Them, Adrian Slack (1986)
A guide to Carnivorous Plants of the World, Gordon Cheers (1993)
* Carnivorous Plants, Adrian Slack (1979)
Carnivorous Plants of the World, J. and P. Pietropaolo (1986)
CP-Care and Cultivation, Marcel Lecoufle
Carnivorous Plants of the U.S. and Canada, Don Schnell (1976)
Carnivorous Plants of Australia Vols. 1 & 2, Allan Lowrie

The ones with "*" are out of print - check your local library for copies.

Any bookstore can look up the publisher and ordering info for you from the
author and Title.

You can read lots of discussion about many of these books by looking back
into the archives of this mailing list.

--
Rick Walker