Re: your mail

Bob Beer (bbeer@u.washington.edu)
Thu, 6 May 1993 16:46:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 6 May 1993, Barry Meyers-Rice wrote:

> As did Bob, I got the impression from the cup-shaped comment that you
> have a _Paphiopedilum_ (or however it's spelled). I have trouble
> reconciling this with paddle shaped leaves, though, which suggest a
> plant with pseudobulbs.

Hmmm. There is a distinct petiole? That would be unusual. On the other
hand, the leaves of Paph. species are quite variable, long, short, flimsy,
fleshy, to nearly succulent in some. There are a couple of other genera
with Paph-like flowers, but none of them have distinct petioles.
Cypripedium (our native lady slippers plus some others) have broader
leaves than the "typical" Paph., and some are actually upright with a
stem. If you don't have an expert available there (a local orchid society
perhaps?), you could always send a picture to me or someone else. Good luck!
There are lots of Paph hybrids too, though I don't know of any
intra-generic crosses on the order of the "Sophro-laelio-cattleya" type of
things.