Pedaliaceae/Martyniaceae

Jan Schlauer (zxmsl01@studserv.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de)
Thu, 29 Apr 93 15:09:06 +0200

Barry, you wrote:
>P.S. In conversation with Michael Chamberland, he informs me that recently
>someone has reclassified _Martyniaceae_ as _Pedaliaceae_. I am not
>familiar with this latter family.

This is rather a reversal than a reclassification, as _Martynia_ used to
be included in Pedaliaceae. BTW, I have now found reference for stigma
motility in Pedaliaceae, Gesneriaceae, etc. This same phenomenon was
reported to occur in _Lavandula_dentata_ (Lamiaceae), too. Fortunately,
a friend of mine grows exactly this species. I tried it and can quite
positively state that this is WRONG. Thus, so far (as is known) only
Scrophulariales sensu stricto (nearly all of the families, but mostly
*not all* genera in a given family) have stigma motility.

Kind regards
Jan