_U.alpina_

Jan Schlauer (zxmsl01@studserv.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de)
Thu, 22 Apr 93 10:42:34 +0200

Hi y'all,

Of _U.alpina_, you wrote:

>>>@$%#$^ The seeds of U. alpina that I bought from Allen Lowrie haven't
>>>germinated yet (neither have the most of the other seeds, for that
>>>matter...) :-(

>>Good luck---as I understand it, this is a difficult plant to get going from
>>seed. TAYLOR rarely discusses cultural details, but mentions that even the
>>able people at Kew were unable to sustain seedlings. But it could have been
>>a freak attack of mould or something...

>Now you tell me! I'm hoping that my Byblis liniflora and Drosera stolonifera
>spp. prostrata (I think that's the right species name) will grow OK though
>I don't hold out much hope for the two Pinguiculas.

...The more am I proud of my success with _U.alpina_ from seed in vitro (this
one took 3 months to do the job, though)!

Yes, it seems to be quite frequent in some _Utricularia_ species that in some
years no seed is produced at all, or the seed (although containing embryos)
just does not germinate. And then, the following year it (i.e. the same plant)
can produce copious seed (even without pollination) which germinates
readily.

I think, to germinate is one thing (remember: 3 months), to sustain the
seedlings is much harder!

In my case, _U.alpina_ first formed thread-like "leaves" (thalli would be the
better term) which partially became green (upright) and partially remained
pale (sunk in the media). Initially, no traps were formed (note Taylor's
picture of a seedling consisting of seed coat, leaf, stolo, and trap, however).

This (not reminding at _U.alpina_ *at all*; but I have obtained the seed
from the living plant *myself*), "grew" for some months (in reality, it
did not enlarge too much, and I was gradually loosing my confidence...)
without much change. Then, quite suddenly (in spring; maybe some
correlation with day-length?), "normal" appearing "leaves"
(_Utricularia_ *NEVER* has normal leaves, see Taylor), "stolons", and on
the "stolons" the first traps were formed.

As the first plant had 3 cm long "leaves", it was time for the first
!"$$%&/()(/&$$^^!%&()%$&/ fungus to attack the whole vial with 3 healthy
plantlets (a matter of hours, only, and it was completely impossible to
rescue a single plant)!

But I still had some of the seedlings (clean; i.e. fungus-free). Now
(1 year later) I have 3 plants in *separate* vials. OK it'll take some
time for the first flowers ;-), but it really *is* _U.alpina_, and it is
from seeds.

If anyone liked to try some seedlings (you, John?), I could send some.
Be prepared, however that it won't be too easy to grow them. I have
exactly zero experience what happens if you open the tube and set the
plant "free".

Sorry for the long letter...
Jan