re: Lentib Monsters

From: Ivan Snyder (bioexp@juno.com)
Date: Fri Dec 22 2000 - 10:15:39 PST

Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 10:15:39 -0800
From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Lentib Monsters

>I was amazed at the revelation that not to many Utricularia interbreed.
But
what I would love to know is the types of hybridization attempted by
people
such as Ivan and others. Also has anyone tried to hybridize the mexican
Pinguicula with the European/North American species?
Best wishes,
Richard.

Hi Richard and all,
Yes, we breeders have tried crossing Mexicans with European and N.
Americans and have had no success. I will try soon to cross P. lutea with
P. macroceras, but I figure this will be a dead-end also. Mike Wilder and
myself have both envisioned a Mexican X Floridan having the ability of
growing and flowering nonstop. All we got were nonviable seed. One last
hope I have for a most freely growing hybrid is to cross the Mexican P.
sharpii (which is a small plant with no dormancy) with a more attractive
larger Mexican such as P. elhersae. Using some tricks I have learned with
the chemical Colchicine, I think I can make this hybrid fertile and be
able to cross with other fine Mexican species and hybrids. I feel this is
the direction to creating Pings of such quality that they may reach the
popularity level of African Violets. I came to this realization recently
after having given away all my P. sharpii. Can anyone send me seed of P.
sharpii in exchange for other seed? If so, please e-mail me and I will
send you my current seed list.
Ivan Snyder
Hermosa Beach
California