lentib monsters

From: mike wilder (it_290@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 22 2000 - 09:32:11 PST

Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 17:32:11 -0000
From: "mike wilder" <it_290@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: lentib monsters

hello,
you asked whether anyone had crossed mexican pings with north
american/european species. i crossed primuliflora with [moranensis x
ehlersae] twice and obtained seed, but the seed was not viable. ivan snyder
has done similar crosses with simlar unhappy results. i had hoped that
these kinds of crosses would work despite ivan's belief that they were
impossible, and now i'm convinced. i think that p. emarginata, which can be
grown warm in peat/sand just like the north american pings, is a better
choice for hybridization. it flowers frequently, doesn't go dormant, and is
easy to grow. so, you can get the benefits of a mex x american cross that
way. the japanese newsletter reports that someone successfully crossed
emarginata with moranensis, and i crossed emarginata with moranensis 'g' but
am waiting for the fruit to ripen. on a slightly related note, one of my p.
agnata's put up a flower with only 4 petals. i tried to self it to see what
would happen, but the stamens appeared deformed. we'll see what happens. has
anyone ever seen abberrations like this before? also, i crossed agnata x
[moranensis x ehlersae], and one fruit produced about 50 seed. i was shocked
when ALL of the seed germinated in only 3 days! maybe i'm used to old seed
that takes forever to germinate, but this seemed incredibly fast to me.
--mike