Re: Mulching a bog long-term and the wellness of the plants

From: MCATALANI@aol.com
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 06:46:32 PST

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:46:32 EST
From: MCATALANI@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Mulching a bog long-term and the wellness of the plants

<< In the last few days we have had sleet- and ice-storms in North Texas, with
 temperatures in the low 20s. In anticipation of this weather, I covered my
 outdoor bogs with a one-foot-thick layer of oak-tree leaves/ pine-tree
needles
 combo. I wasn't really worried about the Saraccenias, but it worked very
well
 in keeping the more sensitive Droseras in warmer temperatures (and alive)! >>

We've had the same weather here in Memphis. I have never covered my bogs.
ABout the only problem I have is Dionaea being pushed out of the ground when
it freezes. I wouldnt see a problem with the pine needles, but I'm not sure
that I would use oak leaves in the mix.

Michael Catalani