Re: Halogen lamps

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Dec 17 2000 - 11:59:42 PST

Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 19:59:42 +0000
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Halogen lamps

Hi,

>I am trying to provide adequate light for a small Nepenthes terrarium.
>I've read quite a lot about the subject (including many posts on this
>list) and still am not clear about the subject of Halogen lamps. Most
>people recommend standard white fluorescent lamps for growing CPs but I
>don't have space for these, as they're usually 2 ft or more. On the
>other hand I found that a number of halogen lamps ranging of 100 W or
>more may provide 2000 or more lm, which I believe is adequate for
>growing Neps. So, is there a problem with using halogen lamps (I am
>thinking for instance in OSRAM's Halolux, Halolux CERAM or Haloline
>products)?

I suspect that the problem with Halogen lamps is they will not be able
to provide light in the correct spectrum for growing plants. It is also
likely that they will give off a large amount of heat as well, which
will be hard to dissipate adequately.

There is a type of fluorescent lamp that may be suitable for you space
restrictions. They are called Compact Fluorescent and are usually sold
as "energy saving" lamps because they have the equivalent light output
of a regular house light but use significantly less electricity. They
would probably be ideal since they take up about the same amount of
space as a regular light bulb.

Hope this helps.
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk