Re: Pinguicula flowers

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2000 - 10:20:56 PST

Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 18:20:56 +0000
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Pinguicula flowers

Hi John,

>It's nice to hear that some pings have scented flowers. Personally, I'd
>settle for just seeing the flowers! What can I do (if anything) to
>encourage my pings to flower? I'm growing P. esseriana, hirtiflora, and
>'Sethos' x gypsicola. They're growing in a peat/sand mix (about half/half
>or slightly heavier on the peat) and under flourescent lights. I have
>baggies over the pots to raise the humidity, but they're on loosely, not
>held with rubber bands or anything. Also, anything I can do to encourange
>them (especially the Mexican ones) to produce plantlets?

If you are growing your plants under artificial light it could be a case
of varying the photoperiod to get your plants to flower. Some Mexican
Pinguicula species tend to flower during the winter or early spring,
many exclusively so, other only flower during the summer. It is a
reasonable assumption that winter flowers will react to a shorter
photoperiod and summer flowers to a longer one.

P. esseriana always flowers for me during late winter/early spring. P.
'Sethos x gypsicola is more likely to be a summer flowerer. P.
hirtiflora tends to flower for me from spring through to the fall.

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk
Web Site: www.pwilson.demon.co.uk