Re: Sarracenia seed stratification

From: Chris Teichreb (cteichreb@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 08:04:33 PST

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 08:04:33 -0800
From: "Chris Teichreb" <cteichreb@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia seed stratification

Hi David,

>The term scarification involves notching a heavy-coated seed or treating it
>with acid to allow water to penetrate. I have not heard of anyone finding
>any
>advantage to scarifing CP seed.
>
>I hope this is of some use.
>Cheers,
>David O Gray

   What about Drosophyllum? The only time I was ever able to get
it to germinate (before damping off) was when I scarified the seed.
However, if you were talking about Sarr seed, then yes I agree there's
no benefit to scarifying the seed.

   On Sarr stratification, I'll throw in my two cents. Essentially,
I take a peice of paper towel, wet it down and then wring it out
to the point where no more water will come out, lay out the Sarr
seed on it and fold the paper towel over the seed, stick it in a
ziploc in the vegetable crisper in the fridge and four weeks later,
throw it on standard Sarr mix (whatever the standard is!). I
generally get from 90 to 100% germination with seed less than 3
years old, and over 50% germination with older seed. Doesn't matter
which species (although I've never tried S.purp, a real weed in
my collection!).

Happy sowing!

Chris