Re: The Documentary

From: Fernando Rivadavia (fe_riva@uol.com.br)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 17:25:04 PST

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 23:25:04 -0200
From: "Fernando Rivadavia" <fe_riva@uol.com.br>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: The Documentary

To all,

            I agree 100% with Joe...

> Has anyone suggested to Jennifer to use D. intermedia? It has
"tropical" forms in the area(I have D. intermedia "Mnt. Roraimae, or so it
was sold to me as), is fairly good-sized and a temperate form(which lots of
people have) may be a good sub for that.

            D.intermedia of course! After all, it grows right there
alongside D.roraimae in the Gran Sabana! So why bother with more difficult
plants, like D.roraimae or D.communis (which I still do think is more
difficult to grow Matt -- I've tried both as well)?! And in terms of leaf
length, it does seem to be the largest of the Tepuy-land Drosera that come
to mind.

            In fact, this is something which has always intrigued me. Isn't
it strange that there are no large-leaved Drosera in S Venezuela???? There
are so many native species in that area, some with long stems like
D.roraimae and D.meristocaulis, yet nothing robust like its northern
neighbors D.filiformis or D.anglica, nor its southern neighbors
D.graminifolia, D.chrysolepis, D.villosa or D.graomogolensis, or even that
damn-rare D.cendeensis from NW Venezuela which seems to illude all CPers who
go there in search of it (and which I suspect is something
chrysolepis-ish...). Anyways, food for thought...

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia
Sao Paulo, Brazil

P.S. Anyone planning another trip to dig out D.cendeensis or on of the
local Pings???