More on bog preservation

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Sat Nov 25 2000 - 16:40:56 PST

Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 16:40:56 -0800 (PST)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: More on bog preservation

Hey Folks

Three quick notes...

1)Marj reported on a great conservation project. I'm glad this worked out
so well. However, I encourage everyone who would want to visit this site
to remember that they should first contact the parties involved and
inquire about visitation rights. The site may be too sensitive for
visitation. Or there might be restrictions on visitation, and it would be
a real pain to arrive by your own transportation, but leave in the back of
a police car with trespassing charges pending against you!

2)Nigel H pointed out an excellent point...

> Sorry to be a wet blanket, but just buying a bog is not the whole
> answer. I'm certain there have been cases in the UK where an area of
> wetland been designated a site of Special Scientific Interest but the
> surrounding land has been unprotected so farmers and developers have
> moved in and put drainage ditches in which adversely affected the
> wetland by removing its water supply.

Indeed, sensible conservation includes analyzing all the major sources of
pollution in the watershed. Conservation organizations always investigate
carefully all sources of potential pollution. If they don't, as Nigel
pointed out, they are running the risk of wasting a lot of money and time!

3)Michael Hunt asked...

> I would ask Barry if the Nature Conservancy main function is to purchase the
> land and hold it until governmental funds can be found to change the hands
> of ownership.

The Nature Conservancy's approach differs at each site. Sometimes this
means buying the entire parcel, sometimes this means buying only certain
aspects of the land rights (i.e. mining, logging, water, etc), sometimes
this means buying the land and immediately reselling or giving it to some
nonprofit org or government branch. Whatever is the most appropriate
method for each unique situation.

Cheers

Barry

Dr. Barry Meyers-Rice