re: Weedy Sundew Seed Wanted

From: Ivan Snyder (bioexp@juno.com)
Date: Fri Nov 24 2000 - 10:28:43 PST

Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 10:28:43 -0800
From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Weedy Sundew Seed Wanted

>Does anyone have any extra weedy cp seed(i.e. rapid germination/growth+
>hardy, D. capensis comes to mind) that they would care to donate for
middle
>and high school education purposes. The plants are for indoor
cultivation
>and ultimate distribution to students.
>Almost any hardy Drosera aliciae, intermedia would be fantastic.
>Kirk Martin

That is very kind of you to give your time helping to teach these
students. CP are and excellent and fascinating subject. I recommend that
they begin by reproducing sundews by leaf cuttings as Sean told us about
on the list last week. Leaf cuttings are much faster growing than
starting from seed. Materials can also be provided cheaply in large
amount. Also there are many kinds of sundews to choose from. Best would
be a few large and easy D. capensis, binata, and aliciae. Or, you could
even start with locally common natives such as D. rotundifolia and teach
about nature as well. The way I often set up my leaf cuttings should
prove most feasible. I, like Sean, use the 3.25 oz. condiment cups which
I purchase from Smart and Final (a store which supplies restaurant
supplies) in bags of 200 for about $5 US. I half fill the cups with
sphagnum and cover the cup with clear plastic wrap and a rubber band.
Prick about 20 tiny holes around the edge of the plastic wrap for air
with a pencil. If you must start from seed, the fastest growing plant I
have is the tropical form of D. anglica. I am out of seed at the moment
but should have more in a few weeks.
Ivan Snyder
Hermosa Beach
California