Re: Bog Preservation

From: Robert Ziemer (rrz7001@axe.humboldt.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 08:31:41 PST

Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 08:31:41 -0800
From: Robert Ziemer <rrz7001@axe.humboldt.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Bog Preservation

The recent discussion about bog preservation has much useful information
and many good ideas. It seems to me that an important step is for each
of us to recognize and to map the CP habitat in our local area. Then,
from the county records, determine the owner of the parcel(s). Once
existing CP areas are identified, then a host of alternatives can
surface: willing owner, conservation easement, purchase, etc. A
community or organization may be willing to develop an educational
botanical park. This is an example where "think globally, act locally"
can really pay off. For those that drive past roadside CP areas every
day, do you know about the land ownership? In my area, there is a small
vernal pool in a horse pasture near a primary school. It was considered
a nuisance until someone pointed out that it was one of the few
remaining vernal pools in the area and it was "interesting". Once
recognized as an asset, its protection received a great deal of public
support. A simple act, a positive result. Informing the public of the
value of these swamps and bogs can turn public opinion from viewing them
as useless waste areas that need to be "improved" to embracing them as
community assets.

---Bob Ziemer---