Conservation groups

From: Kirk Martin (kirk_martin@harvard.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 06:51:22 PST

Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 09:51:22 -0500
From: Kirk Martin <kirk_martin@harvard.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Conservation groups

>Topic No. 1
>
>Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 06:41:09 -0500 (EST)
>From: "Carl Strohmenger (HSC)" <cstrohme@hsc.usf.edu>
>To: Multiple recipients of list CP <cp@opus.labs.agilent.com>
>Subject: Re: How to prevent CP destruction in the U.S. wilds
>

>I disagree. There is too much emphasis on getting the government to do
>things that are important to us, but not important to the majority of
>citizens.
>
>If we want to protect CP bogs from destruction, we should BUY them. This
>might be done through a private non-profit corpoaration established just
>for this purpose and supported by donations by those who are interested in
>preserving CP bogs. For those properties that have more widespread support
>in the environmental community, we could involve already established
>programs for protecting sensitive lands ( there is one in my community.)
>There is also a national organization that purchases and sets aside
>environmentally sensitive lands - I am sure they would appreciate a
>donation, too.
I believe that Carl may be describing a U.S. group that operates at both
State and National levels (The Nature Conservancy http://www.tnc.org ). I
recognize there are many pressing conservation needs in the U.S. but
perhaps there may be a way to petition the group to purchase or acquire
conservation easements on some of these parcels due to the rapid and
irreversible habitat destruction. Can ICPS as a group make a formal request
or make recommendations of critical habitats that are threatened?
How can we get organized as a group to bring attention to the fact that
Sarraceniae are being destroyed at an incredible rate and need
preservation. Ideas?

I appreciate all the people who take the time to inform us of ongoing cp
habitat destruction. It helps keep one from being complacent. They really
are miraculous plants.

Kirk W. Martin R.S.
Associate Biosafety/Sanitation Officer
Harvard University