Re: Creatures of the deep

From: Mark Bachelor (Mark.Bachelor@mggsmail.mggs.vic.edu.au)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 21:04:22 PST

Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:04:22 +1100
From: "Mark Bachelor" <Mark.Bachelor@mggsmail.mggs.vic.edu.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Creatures of the deep

Greetings Paul,

The worms that you describe are most likely tubifex worms (otherwise
known as blood worms, red worms, black worms, sewer worms, sludge worms
or fish food). They are aquatic, living in 'polluted' water, where
there is a lot of nutrients (typically in leaf litter at the bottom of a
pond). They also seem to do okay in Sarra pots, living in the pockets
of water. They most likely compete with the algae for the free
nutrients. I have certainly not found them to be a problem. They
remain few in number in CP trays, most likey due to the lack of food.
They have probably came in pot from one of us who grow our plants near
ponds and have pond weeds in our trays.

Bascially I would not worry about them, but if you want to be rid of
them, let your trays dry out and re-pot the plants. Really, it is not
worth the effort.

BTW don't forget the show this weekend.

Regards

Mark T. Bachelor Biology Technician Melbourne Girls Grammar School
Voice: +61 (03) 9862 9200 86 Anderson Street Fax: +61 (O3) 9866 5768
South Yarra, 3141 Victoria, Australia

Lab Techs' Branch of STAV, South Yarra Regional Rep.