milled sphagnum

From: FOODBAG@aol.com
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 09:15:37 PST

Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 12:15:37 EST
From: FOODBAG@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: milled sphagnum

  Hi All,
  Here is something I tried this weekend that appears will work real well, so
I thought I would pass it on. I am sure someone else has thought of this
before...
  At my wife's suggesting, I tried a cheap food processor(food chopper) on
some dried LF sphagnum. I was going to cut it with scissors to mix in for a
Nepenthes mix, and she thought this would be quicker.
Well, it was, and if you let it go for 30 seconds or so, it makes milled
sphagnum, looking very much like the stuff that costs $3.99 for a small bag
around here. Cheaper to buy bales of the regular stuff and mill it myself. I
find seed of a lot of CP germinates better on milled sphagnum than peat or
peat/sand.
  These processors are not expensive, and if you don't have an expendable
one,I saw a new one in an dept. store ad this weekend for only $9.99.

  Regards,

  Joe Griffin
  Lincoln, Nebraska
  USA