RE: pitcher plant stratification and germination

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 04:47:53 PST

Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 07:47:53 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: pitcher plant stratification and germination

>.......Tented pots with seed are placed outside
>in mid-winter and the moist soil is kept constantly damp by being placed in
>trenches, tubs, or whatever that maintains the water at 1/3 pot height.

This sounds like the method I use: 3 inch pots with mix and seeds on top,
placed outside for the winter under clear polycarbonate to protect the seed
from rain.

I can see one advantage, though, from using the 4 week, moist refrigeration
method. One could stratify the seed in fall, germinate seed in fall, and
get an extra 4 to 6 months of growth before the seedling go dormant in the
following fall. I remember someone (Carl?)a few years ago reporting growing
seedlings for 2 years before allowing them to go dormant.

David
Atlant