Re: Eggshells

From: R B (eklaab@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Oct 28 2000 - 21:26:05 PDT

Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 21:26:05 PDT
From: "R B" <eklaab@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Eggshells

>Most people go to great lengths to get rain or RO water for their CPs
to avoid the calcium salts in tap water, so would be very dubious about
deliberately adding calcium to the growing mix. However I seem to
remember a lecture at which it was strongly implied that calcium played
a part in the massive growth surge that causes Venus' Fly Traps to
shut. Does anyone know of any formal findings on this subject?

I think tap water has other minerals besides calcium, which can hurt
the plants if they build up in the soil.

Also, I know someone who waters his highland Nepenthes with only tap water
(using good drainage in the pots), with great success.

Ron

http://profiles.msn.com.