How I grow Nepenthes

From: Phil Faulisi (Philcula@webtv.net)
Date: Sat Oct 28 2000 - 10:01:43 PDT

Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 10:01:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: Philcula@webtv.net (Phil Faulisi)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: How I grow Nepenthes

Hi folks. I've seen so many questions and comments lately on how people
are growing Nepenthes, I thought I would add my experience with them. I
grow intermediate/highlands in a 14 x 24 intermediate greenhouse and
lowlands in an indoor 8'l x 5 1/2'h x 4'w Wardian case, very similar to
Michael Catalani's system, kudos to you Michael. So far I am happy to
report that every specie I am growing is doing exceptionally well. The
greenhouse plants are growing in 2 basic mixes, pure NZ sphagnum, and a
50/50 ratio of NZ sphagnum and 1/4-1/2" spongerock. I'll give you a
short list of what I grow with the components.

aristolochioides - 50/50
carunculata - 50/50
clipeata - 50/50
hamata - pure sphagnum
macfarlanei (3 forms) - pure sphagnum
macrophylla (has 4" pitchers !) - 50/50
muluensis (GREAT specie) -pure sphagnum
rajah - 50/50
ramispina - 50/50
sibuyanensis - 50/50
stenophylla - 50/50
(many other species and 40 hybrids all growing in either of the two
mixes.)
All the plants are watered with RO when natural rain is not available.
And I personally never collect rain off the house...only from the
greenhouse or buckets and pans placed about.
I never fertilize, ever. I do manually feed with various size live
insects only. Plants grow under intermittent mist spring and summer (RO
only). I do shade the roof due to the open location of the greenhouse.
This time of year I remove the shade cloth to harden plants off for
winter. Happily, every plant is doing extremely well. Most of my best
and rarest plants came from Michael Catalani (we need you back
desperately) and Chuck Powell. I keep my winter night temps at 45-50 and
plants still pitcher, though at a slower rate.

As for the lowland collection, I use a more varied mix for certain
species. And remember folks...this is what works very well for me.

albo-marginata - 50/50 peat/sphagnum
ampularia (5 forms) 50/50 peat/sphagnum
bicalculata - 50/50 peat/sphagnum
burbidgeae (I grow this warm!) 50/50 peat/sp
merrilliana (WOW) 50/50 peat/sphagnum
mirrabilis echinostoma - 50/50 peat/sphagnum
northiana (looks great!) 50/50 vermiculite/perlite
I got the idea for this mix from Peter D. It works incredibly well for
me.
rafflesiana (6 forms) 50/50 peat/sphagnum
truncata (3 forms) 50/50 sphagnum/perlite
and so on with a few more species and many hybrids. There are 12 40w
fluorescent bulbs mounted on the outside top of the case which has a
plexiglass roof and hinged plexiglass front doors. The interior is lined
in 6mil poly with a small 1 gallon steam vaporizer added for the
occasional sauna, which they relish! A 20 foot soil heating cable is
wired to the entire inside back wall (I used 1/4 inch hardware cloth).
This is preset to 72 degrees and runs 24/7. The outside of the case is
covered in silver reflective insulated bubble plastic (very sturdy
stuff) Only the roof and front doors are left clear. My lights runs for
17 hours per day 24/7. I never change the duration. These plants are
also watered with the same water and hand fed. I also never fertilize
these plants. Under my conditions, I have seen the potential of these
plants. A plant of Judith Finn (spathulata x veitchii) sent out a 15
inch pitcher with ruby red peristome. It hangs from the roof of the
greenhouse and it never fails to evoke chuckles from my uninitiated
friends...if you know what I mean!

I have found that the more I try to experiment with adding other
compounds to the mixes to find the right balance, the more I fail. By
keeping to the basics, and feeding the plants only live insects, I have
found a balance that the plants not only accept, but love. Of course
some species are way more forgiving than others. I can't grow N.villosa
to save my life! Yes, the expense to heat the greenhouse and the
electricity usage is very high, but it's just the sacrifice I am willing
to make in order to see these plants perform at their best. Plus, and a
big plus here, the expense to me is minimal due to the rareity and
beauty of these plants. For what I paid for some of these plants, I want
to see them not only survive, but flourish. I have seen countless
collections over the years, being grown in a myriad of ways and it's
amazing how creative people can get when dealing with Nepenthes. My
peronal goal is to create environments that will allow the plants to
grow to as large and robust as I can get them to. It's worth the extra
effort to see the real potential these plants have. That is if you have
the space. It's really too bad there aren't miniature versions of the
most exquisite species, you know...12 " and under. It would make space
issues a thing of the past. Thanks to all of you who have given me
advice over the years. You've ALL helped me tremendously. And Michael,
we miss you. I hope you open for business again very soon. Take care
all.
Phil Faulisi