VFT Tissue culture

From: Hideka Kobayashi (hkobayashi4@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 27 2000 - 21:43:35 PDT

Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 23:43:35 CDT
From: "Hideka Kobayashi" <hkobayashi4@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: VFT Tissue culture

I am not an expert on this, but I am going to mention here. One thing that
should be concerned is the choice of the explant. Seeds would be the
easiest. When I tried this, they simply did not germinate for some reason.
There was an article either this year or last year, and researchers used
stalks, and found a lower contamination rate with this method. I just read
an abstract, so cannot give you info in detail. Try Agricola (online
database).

Conamination 'should' be further lowered by the use of PPM (Plat
Preservative Mixture). If you have an access to this, you want to try some.
Higher concentration of bleach slolution or longer duration of surface
sterilization can be employed with dormant buds, as well.

I also cannot go into details on this, but 2ip might work better than BA. I
also read a report on the use of GA. Both info /data are from private
companies, so I cannot reveal much.

I just inoculated VFT and Cape Sundew with Agrobacterium today. See what
will come out of this!

Hideka

http://profiles.msn.com.