S.psittacina seed

From: JWi5770869@aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 12:54:49 PDT

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 15:54:49 EDT
From: JWi5770869@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: S.psittacina seed

cp@opus.labs.agilent.com writes:

> Dear John,
>
> I think this is due to poor conditions. My S. psittacina almost never
> produce pollen or viable seed either. I think this is due to *my* poor
> conditions. This species has a very southern range and it doesn't seem to
> like as far north as we are. Perhaps it needs to be grown in a cold frame
> for complete success. I have not tried this. Anyone out there having good
> luck with this one, out of it's natural range?
>
> Dave Evans
> New Jersey

Dave and all,
Yes, I grow mine in my greenhouse and the plants appear fairly healthy. It
may be that they do need to be kept wetter (as suggested by Susan F.).
Thanks everyone, you've given me something to think about for next year at
least.
I'll be keeping all my S. psittacinas in my new greenhouse which has a deeper
flood bench and see if that works.

All the best

John "hate this time of year" Wilden
Southport