Re: Inflation blowers, etc.

From: MCATALANI@aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 07:21:39 PDT

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 10:21:39 EDT
From: MCATALANI@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Inflation blowers, etc.

<< For instance, polycarbonate has a 10-year warranty.
 The polythene film has to be replaced more frequently, and you have to run a
 blower 24 hours/365 days a year to keep the space in between the double
 layers inflated. I'd be interested to see what your electric bill is (if you
 don't want to post it to the list, you can
 send it to me via email). The blower probably won't last 10 years running
 continously, so you may have to purchase replacement blowers over this
 period. Also, I haven't seen any numbers on the insulation capability of a
 double polythene film vs polycarbonate. If the insulation of the double
 polythene film is not as good, then your heating and cooling equipment are
 working harder, which further increases your electric bill. >>

The inflation blower costs less than $40, and uses virtually no power. I also
have two high air flow fans running in the greenhouse at all times which are
much more powerful, and that hasn't had a noticable affect on the electric
bill either. The heater uses propane, which can run $200 during a typical
winter here. The heater also has an electric blower fan, but the power for it
is minimal. The large exhaust fan and pad pump are a different story. During
July and August, these two items can run in excess of 6 hours per day. They
can add $200 a month to electrical and $50 a month in water for a couple of
months. Otherwise, they add about $30-$50 a month. And a well insulated
house doesn't necessarily mean less cost to cool, but it will save you on
heating costs. You might check in your area for nurseries who have both types
of greenhouses, as they could give you insight as to which they would go with
for your area.
Michael Catalani