Re: Evaporative / Swamp Coolers

From: MCATALANI@aol.com
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 09:22:28 PDT

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 12:22:28 EDT
From: MCATALANI@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Evaporative / Swamp Coolers

<< Another factor to consider in making a purchase of cooling equipment is
 that Evaporative coolers do not work well in very high humidity
 environments. When the humidity is close to 100%, there is no room for
 evaporation, and thus no cooling. >>

This statement is true if you are talking about evaporative coolers installed
on buildings. These systems pump water onto the roof, and as the water
evaporates, cools the building. We dont see many cooling systems like that in
Memphis because of the very high natural humidity, which prevents the water
from evaporating na dhtus cooling. Greenhouse evaporative coolers operate
more like an a/c unit than a building evaporative cooler. When the inside of
a greenhouse heats up due to sunlight, the humidity level inside the
greenhouse can drop well below the natural humidity levels outside. A
greenhouse evaporative cooler in this situation works like an air
conditioner. It removes hot air by pulling the air out of the greenhouse. At
the same time, it pulls air from the outside through the wet cooling pads
into the greenhouse. The air being pulled through the pads can effectively be
lowered to the temperature of the water. (In an a/c unit, air is pulled
through the coils cooled by freon or other coolants.) By reducing the air
temperature inside the greenhouse, the humidity level will increase. Even
with my very high natural humdity, I could not cool down my greenhouse and
keep the humidity level high without one.
Michael Catalani