Re: Variegation in Sarracenias?

From: John Green (john.green@ascensus.com)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 12:56:24 PDT

Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:56:24 -0600
From: John Green <john.green@ascensus.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Variegation in Sarracenias?

Mark in New Zealand wrote:

>Has anyone out there heard of variegation in Sarracenias pitchers
>occurring as I have a purpurea venosa from seed which is green with
>distinct, large, pale yellow blotches on it. It is devoid of any red
>colouring at the moment and came from a very large batch of
>seedlings, all of which are normal and grown in the same conditions?

I seem to recall reading about this when I first subscribed to the list 2 or
3 years ago. I think the general concensus was that variegated Sarrs don't
do as well in the long run, probably due to a lower amount of chlorophyl. I
wonder if a foliar fertilizer regularly applied would help at all. I've got
an S. minor "okee giant" seedling right now that appears to be variegated,
mostly white with some green areas. I don't think it's antho-free because
it looks like the growing tips are a bit reddish. It's growing very slowly
(about the same as the other two seedlings which are both very green) so
hopefully it'll show some interesting traits as it gets bigger (if it
survives, I'm terrible at growing plants from seed!).

John Green
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

"There is a very fine line between a 'hobby' and mental illness." -- Dave
Barry