Nepenthes Veitchii on trees

From: Steven Stewart (steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 04:39:33 PDT

Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 07:39:33 -0400
From: "Steven Stewart" <steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes Veitchii on trees

Hello Rich and list,
I have a flowering size N. veitchii that is planted with a Tree fern. It has
wrapped around the trunk with several of it's leaves and pitchers. I started
it in this situation a couple of years ago when the tree fern had only about
a foot of trunk (1/3 meter). The fern is now about 3 feet and the N.
veitchii is about 1 foot. Both grow best in the winter here in Florida. The
fern has a 12" diameter trunk, and I think the N. veitchii would prefer
something larger. The leaves tend to cover each others pitchers when
wrapped. Another possible mistake I made is having a branched Nepenthes. I
think a single crown might not compete with itself. I have started a
seedling N. veitchii, in the (crotch?) of a branching tree fern. It is
growing, but would prefer more water than I give it. A seedling N. veitchii
* N. lowii, growing with a small 6" diameter tree fern is wrapping nicely.
Take care,
Steven Stewart
Sanford, Florida, USA