Nepenthes and greenhouse heating

From: Steve Klitzing (starbirdcom@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 13:09:44 PDT

Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 13:09:44 PDT
From: "Steve Klitzing" <starbirdcom@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes and greenhouse heating

Hi all:

Temps are starting to dip in Northern California, which means a little
heating of the greenhouse at night. In my first greenhouse, I used an
electric coil milk barn heater that blew hot air around. It was not very
good for Nepenthes, but kept them alive. Due to drying out the air while
heating, the Nepenthes refused to pitcher. So, this time, I'm trying out an
oil-filled electric radiant heater. There's no fan, or exposed heating
elements, and thus no drying out of the air. My hope is to keep the
greenhouse at no less than 60 degrees F at night during the winter, so that
I can maintain growth conditions for tropicals like Nepenthes. The other
issue is expense, as it does use electricity. I have found that, once the
temps in a small greenhouse get raised, it doesn't take that much juice to
maintain it through the night. It will be interesting to see how
highlanders and lowlanders react to this.

---Steve Klitzing

http://profiles.msn.com.