ICPS Conservation projects

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 09:47:19 PDT

Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 09:47:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: ICPS Conservation projects

Hey Folks,

One of the happy consequences of the recent Sarracenia oreophila meeting
is that the ICPS conservation side has been much more active. Expect to
see some very interesting articles, etc, in CPN in the near future. Also
expect to see us advance some innovative conservation programs soon.

I've worked with ICPS Webster Carl Mazur to get some new conservation
content on the ICPS web site. Take a look---I think you may be surprised
to see all the things that the ICPS has been doing in the last few
years. We're growing beyond the mere "plant club" that we used to be in
the past.

Also, I'd like to hear from anyone who has seen "conservation
statements" from botanical orgs that they like. I'm recrafting elements of
the ICPS conservation statement. It is interesting, and occasionally
challenging, to figure how to make the conservation statement for an org
like the ICPS which is simultaneously a horticultural, scientific,
outreach, and conservation entity! I've downloaded conservation statements
from a number of horticultural orgs like Orchid, Cacti societies as well
as Audubon, etc. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Barry

Dr. Barry A. Meyers-Rice
Carnivorous Plant Newsletter