D Intermedia/Slack's book

From: John Phillip Jr. (johnatthebeach@home.com)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 05:22:44 PDT

Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 08:22:44 -0400
From: "John Phillip Jr." <johnatthebeach@home.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: D Intermedia/Slack's book

hello everyone,

 just got back from vacation, and was catching up on the listserve, a
few quick comments...
here in Rhode Island {Ne coastal area, USA} there is a spot where D.
intermedia grows that is a seasonal trout pond for kids. It is flooded
usually in late winter {January-February}, stocked with trout in March,
emptied of trout by kids by May, and slowly drained in July/August.
 When the pond begins to drain, D. intermedia begins to grow like
wildfire on the sunniest exposed areas. The soil is mainly a coarse
sand, with a small amount of organic matter. What I have always found so
interesting is that the plants spend roughly 6 months submerged, then
grow again when the pond drains. They are NOT just returning from seed,
as many many plants are larger, older plants. It appears that they
simply spend the 6 months underwater in a dormant bud. Hopefully, this
fall I will be able to collect some seed to distribute to the
seedbanks.

I also saw a comment where some one asked about Slack's "Carnivorous
Plants" being available through Amazon.com/UK. I ordered the book back
in February, it was dropped off the list a few months ago, so I simply
reordered it..and it arrived about Sept. 9 here in the USA!
Original publishing date is 1979...I never thougth I'd get this book,
but it IS available through Amazon.comUK.
I have not seen it in the amazon/US site, but have not checked recently.
Haven't gotten through it yet...but it is everything you'd expect a book
by Slack to be!!

enjoy the world

John Phillip, Jr.
Rhode Island,