Re: Drosera underwater

From: Vitor Fernandes Oliveira de Miranda (vmiranda@ms.rc.unesp.br)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2000 - 04:10:14 PDT

Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 08:10:14 -0300 (GRNLNDST)
From: Vitor Fernandes Oliveira de Miranda <vmiranda@ms.rc.unesp.br>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Drosera underwater

Hi Philip,

Very interesting your observations. I could know about another species of
sundews (_D. brevifolia_, for instance) that happen the same. As you have
suggested, I think it's almost impossible that the digestive enzimes could
work even under water, regarding they get diluted. Even the plants
producing enzimes these ones must be lost to the water. Also the catching
is damaged, because all the mucilage (enzimes with carbohydrates) is lost.

Do you noticed if there were reprodutive specimens? I start to think about
the reprodution of this species on a so turbulent environment. Researching
some species of sundews, _D. intermedia_ was one, we notice the seedlings
produce long hairs at the stem-root base, sometimes longer than the
seedlings. I think it's a kind of specialization to aquatic environments,
regarding another species of aquatic plants (no related to sundews) show
the same in seedlings. These structures anchor the seedlings at the soil,
even under water, do not allowing the little plants be dragged by the
water. So, when the principal root is established, the long hairs
degenerate. It's a very interesting aquatic specialization.

All the best

Vitor

Rio Claro-SP, Brazil.