Seasonal production of Nepenthes pitchers?

From: Jay Vannini (interbnk@terra.com.gt)
Date: Sun Sep 24 2000 - 17:52:59 PDT

Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 18:52:59 -0600
From: "Jay Vannini" <interbnk@terra.com.gt>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Seasonal production of Nepenthes pitchers?

Greetings:

I am curious as to whether other members of this forum who cultivate mature
Neps have noticed a certain "seasonality" in pitcher production. My
conditions are highland tropical, and while my small TC plantlets in the
conservatory do the young rosette plant "thing" (new leaf = new pitcher)
many of my mature climbing plants growing outside appear to add several new
leaves before, almost like it was an afterthought, consolidating growth by
inflating pitchers on back buds. Thus far this appears to be most evident on
the N. maxima group of species and N. sanguinea. What is curious is that the
very conditions I would have expected to generate greatest pitcher
production in "highland" Neps (i.e. prolonged periods of cool, misty,
overcast conditions) seem to accentuate this growth pattern.

Am keen to receive feedback on this.

Regards -

Jay Vannini