Re: Utricularia intermedia

From: Eric Schlosser (Eric.Schlosser@urz.uni-heidelberg.de)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 14:59:34 PDT

Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 23:59:34 +0200 (METDST)
From: Eric Schlosser <Eric.Schlosser@urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Utricularia intermedia

U.intermedia seems to be pretty tough. I have a bunch from Norway in a wet
depression in my tub bog where they thrive. They take direct sun, changing
changing water levels, being solidly frozen and stagnation. At one point
the container leaked and the bog repeatetly dried out and all Utrics
seemed to have disappeared. It was barely moist enough to keep some
Sarracenia and Drosera alive. After fixing the hole there were many
U.intermedia again (There are none in nature around where I live) the
following year. They must have been lurking in the almost dry mud,
waiting for better days.
In nature they sometimes float with some debris, but usually they prefer
shallow water and send their whitish stolons into the ground. Usually you
can't pull them out without breaking some of them, so they are well
affixed.
I suspect that they are tricky under artificial light because of too
little light.

Eric Schlosser
Germany