Re: Drosera and Utricularia intermedia

From: chamb@u.arizona.edu
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 11:12:45 PDT

Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 11:12:45 -0700
From: chamb@u.arizona.edu
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Drosera and Utricularia intermedia

At 09:00 AM 9/18/2000 -0700, you wrote:

>>Questions about Utricularia intermedia:
>>
>>First of all, is anyone else growing this? I ask because it seems to
>>be a fairly obscure plant.
>
> I was growing it for a while. Depending on where you are,
>it's not that obscure. At certain places around here, it's a
>common pond weed.

In Michigan it is very common, perhaps the most common Utric in the state,
and easily found on the margins of sphagnum bogs, Typha marshes, and most
large still bodies of water. It is very difficult (near impossible I'd
say) to get this one to last in cultivation. Unless of course you are
growing it outdoors in an artificial (or real) bog/pond or just maybe in a
simulated habitat in an unheated greenhouse. Try this one in a mayonnaise
jar under lights and it will croak faster than a VFT planted in a cow pie.

Michael