Re: Nep cutting flower

From: MCATALANI@aol.com
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 07:00:48 PDT

Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 10:00:48 EDT
From: MCATALANI@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nep cutting flower

I have had quite a few nepenthes cuttings to flower right after being cut.
Most every one of them was produced from the cutting made from the growing
tip. It could be that it was nearing time to flower. But most seemed to
flower due to the stress of being cut, as all of the stalks were greatly
reduced in size.
Michael Catalani

< After about 5 weeks or so, I finally succumbed to temptation and took a
 close look at the bags. I expected to find mostly dead Nep. parts, but
 was pleasantly surprised to find that most were putting out new leaves.
 And, finally, here's the kicker: One of the cuttings is growing a flower
 stalk! Now I hesitate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but what's
 up with that? How common is it for Nep. cuttings to flower? And, most
 importantly, should I let it? I'm more interested in rooting the cutting
 successfully than in having it flower. Thoughts?
Thanks. Chris >>