Growing pygmies

From: John Green (john.green@ascensus.com)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 09:52:24 PDT

Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 10:52:24 -0600
From: John Green <john.green@ascensus.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Growing pygmies

I'm currently growing about 10 different species of pygmy sundews under
lights. They're mostly all grown in separate pots, but I'm very limited on
space (and time!) and they dry out faster when in small individual pots.
Does anyone have any really good suggestions on making them easier to care
for? In the past I've had good success growing them at the base of Sarrs,
but with the deeper pots I grow the Sarrs in, the soil at the top dries out
quickly and the gemmae have a hard time establishing themselves. So I'm
thinking something much more shallow and all the pygmies together might work
better. Any thoughts from the pygmy experts out there? Is it just a bad
idea to put them all in the same container? I'm not too concered with the
different species getting intermingled, I just need to find an easier way to
care for them and conserve space.

John Green
Salt Lake City, Utah

"There are no problems we cannot solve together, and very few we can solve
by ourselves." -- Lyndon B. Johnson