hardening off nepenthes

From: Leon Phaby (phungi@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Sep 10 2000 - 03:37:45 PDT

Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 10:37:45 +0000
From: "Leon Phaby" <phungi@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: hardening off nepenthes

Hello!
I have been going through the archives and havn't run into any info for
moving a nepenthes outside. I live in San Francisco, the West Portal area,
and I recently bought an unknown baby nepenthes from Sloat Nurseries.
Nobody at the store had any real information on the plants but it looks
exactly like a baby Khasiana. To top it off, the cutie was pitchering in
conditions that were stunting the other carnivores they have. It was
obviously a hardy little monster!

My indoor growing space is very limited. I have been wanting to grow some
nepenthes outside and this seemed like a good time to start.
I tried it on a scheduale I have used succesfully with some sarracenia. For
several days I would place it in shaded area in my protected patio. I
slowly extended the exposure, bringing the baby inside @ night.
I watched carefully and the plant seemed to be coping. After a week I moved
it into a spot that recieved a little direct sunlight for about an hour a
day. Still fine, no new growth but no signs of damage. After another week,
I moved it into an area that got slightly more sun. The sweetie burned in
two days, the whole plant turned the coloring of drying blood and the older
pitchers began to shrivel. I moved it inside and it is recovering nicely,
thank the gods!

I know there are some fellow plant slaves in the area who succesfully grow
nepenthes outside. I would sincerely appreciate your advice on how to do
this correctly.

Thank you,
Leon